Skip to main content

Lewes Yacht Club
Lewes, Delaware
______________________________ Founded 1932 _______________________________
HomeHistory

header history
 
 LYC History
 
 

Over 80 years ago a group of sailors met an started a "sailing club".  The town of Lewes donated some little-used water front property which developed into the Lewes Yacht Club.  LYC has a first-rate marina, beautiful heated pool, outstanding clubhouse, all located right on the beach.


The first clubhouse was built with donated materials at a cost of $5000.  It was a lonely little building secluded near the inlet.  The clubhouse today is a modern two-story building with a restaurant that serves dinners, lunches, and a snack bar.  And it has one of the best views in Lewes.  


 
 How LYC was Founded
 
 
 Past LYC Commodores
 
 History in Photos

1932: AUGUST - Idea for a sailing association proposed to Marjorie Virden by George Davisson

17 CHARTER MEMBERS: Richard Reese, Sr., Richard Reese, Jr., Frank S. Carter, Sr. Helene Potter, Frank S. Carter, Jr., John Wine, John W. Wine, Howard Long, Balmer Raynor, Leighton Dorsey, George Davisson, J. Patterson Davisson, George Chambers, Sr., George Fleming, Douglas Fleming,Marjorie Virden, Thomas McComb 

 
1934: Dues $3.00, initiation $1.00
               September - Membership numbers grow to 82
 
1937: July - LYC incorporated
 
1938: First Clubhouse completed on donated land
 
1940: Dues raised from $3.00 to $5.00 with wife & children paying additional           $2.50 each

1950s: Clubhouse expanded & renovated
 
1957: Cement patio built
 
1962: March 22 - devastating Nor’easter
 
1963: Reconstruction
 
1966-67: Bar/social area constructed in basement
 
1969: Marina completed on canal side
 
1980’s: First paid staff hired; large porch on bay side built (later enclosed)
 
1982: Start of sailing school; hosted captains of foreign Tall Ships; 50th Anniversary
 
1983: Quarterdeck shop started
 
1987: Pool opened
 
2003: September—demolition of old Clubhouse
 
2004: Summer—no Clubhouse—pool & marina remain open with free hamburgers & hot dogs available to members on the weekends

November—first official Newsletter

 
2005: August—Quick Notes initiated; floating dock installed at launch ramp
 
2007: Pool renovated with new plaster, pavers & fencing
 
2009: Marina renovated with floating docks
 
201280th Anniversary of the Club
 
2014: Upper Deck is expanded to accommodate more tables for dinning and events.  Under the deck is screened area for bug free enjoyment.

 

2017: Pool renovations including new pavers, new plastering, and new baby pool with water features and walk-in beach entry

                                   
Slideshow
history photos
   


2701 Cedar Street
P.O. Box 2
Lewes, DE 19958-0002
302.645.8596
 
Roosevelt Inlet Coordinates:  38 47.94 N, 75 09.29 W